The capital of romance and love is – with no doubt – Venice in Italy. You will have this feeling of visiting & living in a big open air museum nowhere else and the special character of the water streets is unique as well, at least in Europe and within a city that has an age, historic charme and dimensions like Venice. There are many copies of this city, mostly in the US e.g. with Venice of Los Angeles – and in themeparks all over the worlds.
View this post on Instagram
I want to say bye for the next days, won't have time, will have to do a lot. That's why you get this entry here, recent and from my favorite time of each day, the night – somewhere in Venice, Italy… TAG a friend for your chance on a feature! | https://benicoma.com/be-featured ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ Many thanks to the following hubs for the latest features, I highly appreciate this honor and want to say thank you with this entry! ◆ @twenty20app ◆ @igworldtrip ◆ @ig_caribbean_sea ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ #ig_worldclub #ig_clubaward #igworldclub #ig_europe #ig_europa #ig_italia #ig_italy #ig_venice #dream_image #dream_spots #superhubs #special_shots #worlderlust #ig_today #ig_cosmopolitan #jaw_dropping_shots #beautifuldestinations #igs_world #theworldshotz #worldbestshot #instafameshots #travel_magazine #tv_travel #allshots_ #secretplaces @theseldomseen #GreatestTravels #ig_masterpiece #AOV #igs_group_02 #ig_worldclub_013
I don’t want to focus on facts and figures with this entry, for all of that you have the linked Wiki above and probably good traveler guides anyways. What I want to deliver here are some impressions and since I traveled there already two times (and certainly not the last time), insider knowledge for your convenience, how you can make it there and live there, even with a very small budget – in the historic center, on the island of Venezia and not on the mainland.
- Your Trip: Plan your trip in advance and don’t haste through this city. Plan at least three to four days, directly on the island. Don’t consider a stay on the mainland, it’s not even cheaper, if you book the hotel about a month in advance.
View this post on Instagram
While you visit Venezia, which one could easily say is a museum as a whole city, to get around you have the options to either walk, take a public transportation ferry called Vaporetto, or the depicted gondolas. If you travel low budget, which is quite easy and which I'll report on my blog soon, you better don't, if you don't need to… A single ride costs 100,- € (125,- $) for two people. Can be cheaper although the experience is most likely stunning if you go through the small channels. | Read the story on http://benicoma.com ◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇ ◆ TAG a user with whom you'd like to discover this place & WIN an introduction of yourself on my website! ◆ To participate: TAG a user who will enjoy this picture → I have a look in your gallery. ◆ Of all igers who TAG someone I pick a weekly winner who gets a shoutout. All four picks will be presented in a 4-grid to the followers monthly and they can vote the WINNER. ◆ The WINNER is featured on https://benicoma.com/be-featured with three picks of their gallery and an optional interview. ◆ Have fun & Good luck! ◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇ #ig_today #ig_cosmopolitan #igworldtrip #worlderlust #special_shots #igs_europe #ig_eurasia #elite_shotz #hot_shotz #ig_italy #ponyfony #bestnatureshot #travel_magazine #tv_travel #zamanidurdur #exklusive_shot #postcardsfromtheworld #allshots_ #ig_masterpiece @ig_masterpiece #Europe_Gallery #ig_iceland #igshotz_power @igshotz_power #livetravelchannel @travelchannel #beautifuldestinations @beautifuldestinations #instagramersoftheyear_europa #instagramersoftheyear
- When to go: Summer is fine of course, but Venice is overrun by tourists and in between July and September is main vacation time in Italy and the city is even more frequented. Summer can be nasty in Venice, since the city sometimes stinks when it is warm and you will not be able to enjoy your stay, when you have to fight for space on all main sights. I prefer to go in late Autumn and Winter. End of October to mid of January is a good time, although it is not really warm. So far the weather was always appreciable. Rain can occur, but you will have sun as well. I have never visited Venice for the Carnival, but if you plan to do that, book about one year in advance!
- Getting there: If you arrive by ferry or train, everything is good – you can’t take a motorized vehicle onto the island! If you have a rental car within Italy, make it a one-way and return it in Venezia. If you have an own car or a rental you plan to use after your stay as well, park it on the mainland! The pricing differs drastically and it’s possible that you pay up to 30 EUR a day for public parking if you choose to park directly at the entrance of the historic city. This is very convenient and if you can afford it, you should do it. The options on the mainland are by far cheaper and if you choose the right hub, it costs about 5 – 10 EUR a day! Before you get off your vehicle make sure you have your Vaporetto pass ready to take the bus into the historic city, directly from the parking site. It is by far the most convenient way. You can buy the ticket until 7:00 PM (weekdays) in Mestre in Via Giuseppe Verdi 14, (List of ticket offices) upon your arrival and if you are under 27 the pass costs less – show your ID to prove the age!
View this post on Instagram
Venezia is a Wonderland for your daily dose of photography. This shot shows a Vaporetto coming through at an exposure of 20 seconds. The water loses its structure and seems to be totally plane to deliver awesome reflections. Venezia at night is even more beautiful, when all the tourists sleep and just some locals are in the streets. | Read the story soon on http://benicoma.com ◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇ ◆ TAG a user with whom you'd like to discover this place & WIN an introduction of yourself on my website! ◆ To participate: TAG a user who will enjoy this picture → I have a look in your gallery. ◆ Of all igers who TAG someone I pick a weekly winner who gets a shoutout. All four picks will be presented in a 4-grid to the followers monthly and they can vote the WINNER. ◆ The WINNER is featured on https://benicoma.com/be-featured with three picks of their gallery and an optional interview. ◆ Have fun & Good luck! ◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇ #beautifuldestinations #igs_world #igs_europe #superhubs #mobilemag #princely_shotz #special_shots #exklusive_shot #elite_shotz #master_shots #greatshotz #hot_shotz @instagram @nikontop #ig_today #ig_cosmopolitan #igworldtrip #worlderlust #ig_today #ig_pro #Europe_Gallery #travel_magazine #tv_travel #tv_longexposure #zamanidurdur #secretplaces @theseldomseen #allshots_ #inspiring_photography_admired #artofvisuals @artofvisuals #ig_iceland117 #ig_iceland
- Staying in Venice: You certainly have plentiful options via AirBNB but they are not necessarily cheaper than your average B&B which you can find offered at all common websites like Booking or tripadvisor. It’s up to you what you choose. Expect daily costs to be around 20 EUR per person in winter with the option to cook your food at home. I stayed once in Mestre, the first time I visited Venice and I would never do that again! Last time we stayed in the B&B Venice Hazel and I can recommend it for the price, cleanliness and proximity to all main sights.
- Getting around in Venice: Many ‘Piazzas’ are touristic, some aren’t. As recommended get the Vaporetto pass – a single ride costs you at least 6 EUR. A Vaporetto is the big water bus, for up to 100 people. It’s not as romantic as the little gondola, but a ride with the gondola costs you 80 – 100 EUR for one hour and for two people. Something you’d do when you want to propose or you have sufficient funds – nothing for the traveler on a budget. The Vaporetto helps you to return to your area of choice – and to get away from there I recommend to walk the city and discover it.
- Eating out-house & Groceries: The less tourists you see, the better is the food. The price range is from up to 5 EUR for a coffee (Piazza San Marco) to 0,90 EUR everywhere in the places where the locals go. Same is for Pizza which can cost you 5 EUR in the area of the University – or triple the price in the touristic areas while mostly worse in comparison. Get a feeling for yourself while you discover it. I prefer the food of Tuscany and Blogna by far, when it comes up to Italy but you can find really good food in Venice as well, you just have to have a closer look. For aperitivos I can highly recommend the area close to Ponte di Rialto, around the Rialto market place – which is lively at daytime and where you can buy great ingredients for your home cooking. The other groceries can be bought much cheaper at one of the few Coop supermarkets.
In Part 2 I will tell you a bit about the sights and options you have in regard to the sightseeing and about the tickets – because sightseeing is expensive as hell if you don’t do it properly, as is going to the toilet. I never do the average sightseeing when I am there, although it would probably be worth it. I choose to just enjoy the city itself as a great museum. On the other hand, there are plentiful options one should discover… With those first infos you will get there and around and you can easily stay a week for not more than 500 – 600 EUR for two persons if you do it right, most of the food included. Stay tuned. I will bring up the next entry for Venice in about two weeks and it will include many more impressions of the city. One last advice: Make sure you don’t act like a touristic bum while you are there, the Venezians hate it and if you see the masses of tourists you know why!